Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Impact of Information and Communication Technologies in shaping love affairs.

Every step of our routine life faces, numerous encounters with new avatars of Information and Communications Technologies, (ICT) and they are really shaping our relations. They have turned out to be boon, for those who are in love, but at some time they become hurdles. The role of ICT’s encroachment in our personal relations and lives is constructive or destructive is an issue of debate. Here I would like to put forth two incidents which I went through in the course of my life…..which I think reflects their roles…
1st incident

“Dear if you don’t mind, can I ask you something personal, not that important but about your parents”, I asked my girlfriend, (XYZ), with servile politeness. As you need to be careful, and use properly weighed words, when talking to your girlfriend that too, when on a date. Who knows, what, which, and when, will offend her highness, and spoil your entire date.

“Of course, you can”, the sweet assurance ensued my questions.

Though now, its years, we met or event talked. I don’t know even where she is, but to be honest she was damm! Pretty and Beautiful. In fact and her beauty was the womb of the questions, which I asked her. Her mother’s looks were contrary to hers. She was not as good looking rather below average. Mellissa was on her father. I asked her, why and how they married. She told me that they had a love marriage. The couples were pen pals, and they committed to marry even before, seeing each other. The firmness of their commitment is clearly reflected by their successful marriage. Letters turned out be the fevicol of their relations.

2nd incident

I was in my sixt standard, when a letter endorsed as Chotte Lal Sharma C/O my Big B’s (Elder brother) name used to come frequently at my place. It was informed by my Big B that, the owner of these letters is a friend, who is not having a permanent address and is new to the town, thus his letters are coming to our place. These letters were given to my Big B, unopened and as soon as they came, at least once in a week. Utmost care was taken to deliver those letters without delay. Maa thought that, who knows what important information is in the letter, she used to tell my brother, “Beta pocket mein hi mat rakhe rehna apne dost ko de dena”(son don’t keep the letters in your pocket deliver them to your friend in time)

I had no apprehensions about those letters, as a kid use to give it to my Big B as soon as he used to come. But one day I was assigned with the boring job of arranging my big B’s bookshelf. To my utter surprise I discovered a bunch of those letters, lying behind the pile of books. My curiosity, made me read one of them, then another, then another, I read almost ten.

I could not understand at that time ( as I was a kid studying in 7th standard) the letters were for my Big B, that too, love letters from a girl not only known to me but to my whole family.

Today I really admire my Big B’s intelligence, how deftly he managed to communicate with his beloved in those tough days. I really pay tribute to him.



Derivations

Well in both the cases, letters (as they were the only available mediums) played an important role. If we really ponder over the first case , had the mobile phones and all the latest, avatars of communication technology been there , what could have been the probable outcome?

They must not have married each other rather maybe the thing called love would never have materialized between them. Though proverbs like, “dil lagi diwar se toh pari kya cheezh hai”, underestimate the role of looks, but whatever said, importance of looks cannot be denied, especially for initiating the relations. Most probably if my girlfriend’s father had seen her mother prior to the development of emotional ties, he must not have developed those bonds of emotions which held them together over those years.

Here in this case lack of communication, technologies, significantly played a very positive role in binding their relations.

In the second case, the letters ceased to come after few months, probably the relation died. Though I don’t really know the reason behind the termination of relations, but the presence of contemporary communication technologies in those times, could have given, the love story a new turn. At least they could have eased the troubles of my Big B. I really sympathize for him. May be, playing the cupids role, the Information and communication technologies, would have accelerated their relations.



The probable impact of modern technology on these two cases undermines the role of communication technology in shaping the LOVE AFFAIRS, prevalent in today’s society. What do you say? ………………….

1 comments:

Praveen P said...

Bhai its gr8 to knw that you admired mellisa but beleive me she was beautiful and nt deserving for a guy like you.....I am happy that the relation didnt matelised....##

And y bhaiya???? bhaibhi ko pata chalega tho bawal ho jaega..